Monday, June 22, 2015

Rusiate Balenagasau 1960-2015

Left to Right: Rusi, myself and Gary Adkison 
I just received some very sad news from my friends at Beqa Adventure Divers, Fiji. Rusiate "Rusi" Balenagasau passed away in his sleep yesterday. He was 55 years old.

 I met Rusi when I was invited over Beqa Adventure Divers to spend a month at the Shark Reef Marine Reserve during the "2009 International Year Of The Sharks". I immediately "clicked" with this great kind, gentle and lovable man....a true shark lover....  He was an amazing shark handler and knew each shark by name and watching him handling a shark was like watching a dancing couple. Rusi was also an icon in shark conservation. He was always ready to share his amazing knowledge and was a friend and teacher to all that knew him.

I will never forget the awesome dives and the knowledge that he shared with me. It was an honour to have met the man in the yellow hood. He will surely be missed but his spirit will live on with those that knew him. My prayers and condolences to his family and friends

FAREWELL MY FRIEND.


1 comment:

Ila France Porcher said...

This is a sad loss for sharks as well as for those who knew him. Thanks for writing this for him, Alex. RIP, Rusi...